TOBIA-SCARPA

Tobia Scarpa

Tobia Scarpa was born in 1935 in Venice, where he graduated in architecture (IUAV) in 1969. During his long professional career, this eclectic and inquisitive designer has worked in architecture, restoration, fit-outs, design, graphic design and teaching.

Starting from the Sixties, he established himself as a leading industrial designer through his work with important Italian and foreign companies, including Venini, Gavina, Flos, B&B, Cassina, Molteni, Unifor, Maxalto, Meritalia, Knoll, San Lorenzo and Stildomus.

His relationship with the Benetton group was particularly prolific: it began in 1964 with the design of Benetton’s first factory in Ponzano near Treviso, consolidated during the period in which he defined the Group’s entire industrial architecture and completed with his work on Benetton’s stores and refurbishment projects for important historical buildings in the province of Treviso. In Treviso he has also recently completed an office redevelopment of the building that housed the former Law Courts and the refurbishment and redevelopment of the former San Teonisto church and of the Prison to multi-purpose buildings.

Scarpa has also overseen other major refurbishment works for public and private institutions, including Palazzo del Monte in Reggio Emilia, Loggia dei Cavalieri in Treviso, Palazzi Brusati Bonasi in Carpi, the Mercato Vecchio Museum in Verona and the Gallerie dell’Accademia in Venice.

Between 2001 and 2009 he dedicated his time to teaching, holding posts in the universities of Venice and Alghero.

He has received many international awards, culminating in the Compasso d’Oro for his career in 2008. His work has been exhibited in a number of museums throughout the world — including the Libertà chair at the Louvre in Paris — and has been selected for exhibiting at Milan’s Triennale and the Biennale in Venice.

A significant number of exhibitions and publications have been dedicated to Tobia Scarpa in Italy and abroad.