Tobia Scarpa was born in Venice in 1935, where he graduated in architecture (IUAV) in 1969.
A multifaceted and curious designer, in his long professional activity he has been involved in architecture, restauration, installations, design, graphics, and teaching.
Since the 1960s he has established himself as a leading player in industrial design, thanks to collaborations with important Italian and international companies. Particularly productive was his relationship with the Benetton group, which began in 1964 with the design of the first factory in Ponzano (TV), consolidated with the definition of the group's entire industrial architecture and completed with the stores and restoration work on important historic buildings in near Treviso.
From 2001 to 2009 he dedicated himself to teaching, in the universities of Venice and Alghero.
He has received many international awards, culminating with the award in 2008 of the Compasso d'Oro for career achievement. His works are exhibited in numerous museums around the world, such as the Liberty chair at the Louvre in Paris, and have been selected for temporary exhibitions at the Milan Triennale and the Venice Biennale.
There are considerable exhibitions and publications dedicated to Tobia Scarpa in Italy and abroad.